Brahm's 2006 Team in Training Log

I created this blog to record my training for the 2006 Bayshore Marathon through Team in Training. Feel free to revisit this site to track my progress. And if you haven't already, please consider supporting me by making a donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Week 12 Summary

Scheduled: 32-33 miles
Ran: 38.1 miles

Cross training:
Rock climbing

Week notes:
As you can see, I've been pushing myself to get back on schedule. I haven't gotten to the point where I am running an extra mile per scheduled running day, but I'm getting there.

I started rock climbing again to start to get my arm strength back. I took it easy and did routes in the 5.7-5.9 range.

I had to exchange the new shoes that I had purchased before I fractured my collarbone because the rim was cutting into my left ankle. Though they did not have much wear on them (~35 miles on the treadmile, 9 outdoors), I have to thank Hanson's for having such a great exchange policy. They will definitely get more of my business in the future.

Also, instead of doing the normal weekly group run at Stoney Creek, I did 15.1 miles as part of a training run (only 12 miles were scheduled for me today - the half marathon is 13.1 miles and I did an extra 2 for good measure) at the Martian (half) Marathon! Details from the experience are below.

Long run notes:

About 2 hours before the run:
Ate 2 pieces of toast, 2 eggs
Drank 1 cup water

Team in Training group run: ran the Martian Half Marathon in Dearborn Heights with a number of Team in Training people.
( http://www.martianmarathon.com/ )

Weather: 46F, wind ~14mph. Overcast with very slight misting (almost not noticable) about an hour into the run lasting about 20 minutes.

Attire: Yellow & white Supernova Classics, short synth running socks, cotton boxer briefs, black mesh shorts, blue synth long sleeve shirt, white TNT short sleeve synth t-shirt.

I wasn't sure exactly what to wear but decided in the end to not wear the warm up pants (too much wind resistance, extra weight, not enough need).
Also, I wore the blue micro fleece with the TNT shirt on top so I could display the TNT shirt and wouldn't need to put the safety pins from the bib through my green wind shirt.
The problem with this outfit, however, was that I had no pockets.
I ended up tying my car key to the draw string of my shorts and did not bring my ID (I did have my emergency tag affixed to the laces on one shoe) or any money (saved me the temptation from buying anything).

I exchanged the blue Supernova Controls for the yellow Classics Thursday night because they were rubbing my left ankle on my weekday runs.
The old red Supernova Controls are starting to break down and give me shin pains so I didn't want to run a long distance in those.
My only choice was to trust the new pair.

Arrived ~45 minutes before the race started (7:45 AM).
Found the starting line, went inside to the expo @ Henry Ford Community College to sign in @ the TNT booth.
Got a training run bib (I was #1!... just like all the rest) since I didn't register for the race.
This also meant I didn't get a chip, t-shirt, or official time.
Lines for restrooms were long, so I left and used the portajohns down by the starting line.
Bumped into Rudy, the guy I bought my treadmill from in Grand Rapids, in the crowd.
Chatted with him for a few minutes.
Met up with the rest of the TNT group by spotting Coach Ken (tall guy in a bright purple TNT shirt... hard to miss).

Started with minimal stretching.
Passed through the starting gate at 8:32 AM (two minutes after start).
Ran first mile with Sarah (from my team) and Ken, another TNT runner. They are both running the Bayshore full.
Picked up the pace, left them and ran solo for about a mile.
Drank a cup of water from the first water stand.
Met up with Annabel, whom I had run with during one of the early group training runs at Stoney Creek.
Ran the rest of the morning with her as she runs at the same pace and "is good people".
Drank water at about 4-5 more water stops.
Need to remember to walk while drinking.
Tried a free GU hand out at one of the stops (Tri Berry)... not as scary as I thought it might be.
Headwind was strong running to the west, was great when we turned around midway and had the wind to our backs.
Made a small push to the finish line by picking up the pace for the last quarter mile.

Reached the finish line at ~10:35 AM, 2 hrs 3 minutes after crossing the starting line, a 9:23 min/mile pace.
Quite a bit better than the (somewhat arbitrary) 10 min/mile goal I currently have for the marathon.
Annabel wanted to get an extra 2 miles in (she was scheduled for 14 but has been doing an extra mile in her runs (like I had been doing and had mentioned to her before my collarbone fracture).
I was feeling pretty good, so we turned around, ran a mile out and back and crossed the finish line again.
The first extra mile was very difficult with the headwind (I swear it was stronger that time) and I really started to get tired.

Received a bottled water at the finish line.
Went back to the expo hall to get nourishment.
Stretched a bit before going in because I could feel my calves and quads tightening up.
Grabbed two bananas, two bagel halves, and half a muffin.
Scarfed them down while doing stretches on the floor.
Said goodbye to Annabel.
Looked at the race results posted on the wall.
I would have placed 88th in my age bracket (30-34).
Rudy placed about 23rd in his age bracket with a 7:44 min/mile pace (1:41 duration).
Saw Sarah come into the building and chatted with her a little while (she wasn't particularly happy with her time).
Refilled the waterbottle and left.
Ran into Ken on the way back to the car.
He had run 15 miles as well.

The walk back to the car was cold!
The wind had picked up more, I wasn't exerting myself, and my sweat was still evaporating.

Resisted the urge to treat myself to a coffee from one of the 4 coffee shops I passed on the way home.

Overall, I was quite pleased with my time and glad I chose to participate in the event rather than going to Stoney Creek.