Brahm's 2006 Team in Training Log

I created this blog to record my training for the 2006 Bayshore Marathon through Team in Training. Feel free to revisit this site to track my progress. And if you haven't already, please consider supporting me by making a donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Week 16 Summary: 16 miles at week 16

Mileage


Scheduled: 38-39 miles
Ran: 40 miles

Cross training


Push-ups: 140
Crunches: 150
Rock climbing

Week notes


I tweaked my back doing yardwork last Saturday afternoon. The pain was strong enough still on Sunday so I decided to postpone the short run that day until Monday. The pain lingered all week, though it dulled enough to the point were it wasn't a problem. It actually felt better during the runs than before or after.

Monday and Tuesday were cold and/or rainy, so I ran on the treadmill for those two days.

I've started doing push-ups and crunches on a regular basis now. I usually do about 30 push-ups followed by 20 crunches straight on and 15 biased on each side for a total of 50.

Team in Training group run


About 30 minutes before the run:
Ate 2 eggs on a whole wheat bagel.
Drank 1 cup black tea w/sugar, 1 cup ice water.

Weather: Cool. ~43-50 F. Sunny.

Attire: Yellow & white Supernova Classics, short synth running socks, cotton boxer briefs, black Nike running shorts, yellow synth t-shirt, green GoLite synth wind shirt, black bandana.

Didn't wear the bandages to see if I really needed them with this shirt (didn't). Couldn't find my sunglasses so I ran without them.

Arrived on time. Stretched during group announcments. No coach today (mentor led), so just started whenever. Arrived around the same time Kim did.

Sue wanted to get started so she ran by herself. Warmed up the first mile at a slower pace with Sarah. Then Kim and I ran together for the rest of the run.

Ran the extension road to the nature center, which added 3 miles to the loop.

Coach Ken wasn't there, so we didn't have a water break at mile 5.75. However, one of the mentors had dropped of a water cooler at about mile 6.75 on a bench. We stopped to take a PowerGel and some water.

Stopped again to refuel and a potty break at mile 9 (full loop). Grabbed my iPod from the car but didn't use it because Kim's mp3 player wasn't working so I decided being social was the right thing to do (plus I listen to music for all of my other runs during the week).

Ran another loop without the extention to the nature center (6 miles).

Kim decided to get some more water at mile 13.5 (a cooler was set up for a TNT walk event). I decided to stretch out my left calf since it was starting to feel a little tight.

Jennifer and Kaija surprised me by calling out to me from the car about a mile from the end of the loop. Jennifer had told Kaija that Daddy was running. So Kaija went out to the treadmill to see if I was there, then to the window to see if I was running outside. Jennifer then decided it would be good to bring Kaija to the park to see Daddy running.

Once we got back to the end of the loop, Kaija and Jennifer raced to the walking path from the car in the parking lot. Kaija tried following a little bit. Kim and I still had a mile to go, so we ran 0.5 miles out and back for a total of 16 miles.

In that last 0.5 mile, a random guy met up with us who asked us which event we were training for. We told him the Bayshore marathon and he said he was too. He also ran it two years ago and the Cincinnati Marathon last year.

When we got to about 100 feet from the end of the loop, Kaija and Jennifer were waiting. Kaija ran the rest of the way with us.

Approximate time to complete was 2:35 (9:40 min/mile), or approximately 2:20 (8:45 min/mile) not including the 3 pit stops.

Cooled down by walking in the parking lot and stretching by the picnic table. Ate a banana and the remainder of a bagel that Kaija didn't finish. Drank a bit of water.

Stopped for an iced coffee on the way home.

Though I wasn't very sore after the run, I decided to ice my knees anyway as a preventative measure. Both shoulders were very sore during the run but were fine after.

People met:
Mike - One of the team mentors hosting the training run. Didn't speak to him much but found out he's running the Bayshore Marathon as well.