Brahm's 2006 Team in Training Log

I created this blog to record my training for the 2006 Bayshore Marathon through Team in Training. Feel free to revisit this site to track my progress. And if you haven't already, please consider supporting me by making a donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Week 17 Summary: 18 all over again

Mileage


Scheduled: 38-39 miles
Ran: 40.9 miles

Cross training


Push-ups: 180
Crunches: 400

Week notes


Matt was out of town so I didn't make it to the climbing gym this week. However, I did start to really pick up crunches and push-ups again and did them 6 out of 7 days this week (skipped Saturday). I did 30 push-ups each day. I started with 20 straight-on crunches and 15 biased to each side (50 total) but by Friday was at 40/20/20 (80 total).

I continue to use Google Earth to come up with new routes based on the scheduled miles for the day. This week I took the Clinton River Trail out to Adams Rd for a 7.4 mile round trip on Tuesday and then in the other direction into downtown Rochester for a 6 mile route. The CRT is not the best for running on, as it can be a bit uneven at times and therefore could result in a twisted ankle if not paying attention. The scenery, however, is a nice change from the endless houses on the routes through the neighborhoods.

Team in Training group run



About 45 minutes before the run:
Ate 2 eggs and a few slices of raisin pecan bread w/butter.
Drank 1 cup water.

Weather: Cool. ~42-47 F. Sunny but fairly windy in spots.

Attire: Yellow & white Supernova Classics, short synth running socks, cotton boxer briefs, black mesh synth shorts, white synth t-shirt, green GoLite synth wind shirt, blue bandana.

Still couldn't find my sunglasses so I ran without them.

Arrived on time. Stretched a little during group announcments. Started and ran the whole distance with Sue today. Kim had a wedding to go to on the other side of the state so she got there early and did a loop before we even began.

Ran the extension road to the nature center, which added 3 miles to the loop.

Water break at 3.5 miles (beginning of extension) provided by Coach Ken. Took another break at 6.5 miles (end of extension) and ate a Lara energy bar. I've decided to avoid the PowerGel if at all possible, as it and most of the "sport" products I've come across contain maltodextrin as a major ingredient. After doing a bit of research, I've discovered it's a variation of MSG, which in addition to being a cheap ingredient that is commonly added to food to enhance flavor, is also a neurotoxin. No brain lesions for me, thankyouverymuch. So while I still have some long runs to go, I've decided to experiment with other energy bars with unprocessed ingredients closer to their natural source.

Stopped for another break at mile 9 for water, another Lara bar, and a potty break. Also ate some dark chocolate covered espresso beans (caffeine is proven to reduce muscle fatigue). Grabbed my iPod but didn't use it.

Started another loop. Kim just did 3 miles and had to leave. Sue and I continued on. We started to do the extention to the nature center again but decided against it since it would make it a long time between water stations. Turned around after about 1/4 mile, so added 1/2 mile to the 6 mile loop. We were really parched at this point, so stopped for water at a bench with a water drop for a Cure for Stroke training group. Hope they didn't mind!

Got back to the TNT table. Sue had to make another trip to the restroom. I ate more espresso beans and drank more water. I stretched a bit but my muscles still got stiff while waiting for Sue. It was difficult starting back up again.

We ran another 1.25 miles out and back to complete the remaining 2.5 miles. Ran 18 miles total.

Approximate time to complete was 3:00 (10:00 min/mile), or approximately 2:45 (9:10 min/mile) not including the pit stops.

Cooled down by walking in the parking lot and stretching by the picnic table. Drank a lot of water. Didn't eat a bagel.

Stopped for an iced coffee on the way home.

I wasn't very sore after the run, and though I probably should have iced my knees after the run, I didn't. My left shoulder was a bit sore during the run and continued for a while after during the day. I really need to be better about icing the sore parts after the runs.

Post week note: I was very tired and physically exhausted on Sunday... quite a bit more than after previous long runs. I don't know if it was the fact that I didn't take the PowerGels during the run, that I did quite a bit of yard work later in the day, that I didn't take a nap Saturday after the run, or that I didn't really eat much food after the run (the energy bars and iced coffee kept me satiated for most of the day) until dinner around 7:30 PM. Unfortunately there is not enough time to experiment with those variables before the race. I guess I'll just have to address them each the best I can.